Jeff a.k.a. Dr.Strong is a watch collector based in the south of France. His interest in watches started in the late 1990’s and in the early 2000’s he became a regular poster on several watch fora.
His collection quickly focused on vintage sports watches and he wrote several articles that helped the internet community discover models that were barely known at the time, like the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, early Tudor Submariner or Comex Double Red Sea Dweller.
He has been the moderator of the PuristSPro Rolex forum for the past ten years and is also on Instagram.
1. Do you remember your first watch?
I remember I was offered a CASIO LCD for my 14th birthday, but that’s about it.
2. The 3 most iconic watch models?
ROLEX Submariner, OMEGA Speedmaster, AUDEMARS PIGUET Royal Oak.
3. A noteworthy anecdote with one of your watches?
When I bought my tropical Speedy CK 2998-1 ten years ago, it had been sitting in the window shop of a watch dealer in Marseille for 6 months with a € 2.500,00 price tag on it. When I asked to examine the watch, the dealer was so happy to have a potential buyer that he made me a large discount…
4. Are you more modern or vintage?
I am more attracted by vintage watches, because of the story behind each watch and the patina that make each of them unique. But I also wear a lot of modern watches, especially the new ROLEX and PATEK that have incredible designs.
5. I love Speedmasters because …
Because it is the quintessence of the toolwatch and because people who collect them are true watch lovers, not investors.
6. Your favorite Speedmaster?
My 2998-1 with tropical dial.
7. A single personal item you would take with you for a long stay on the Moon?
The Moonwatch Only book, of course! 😉
8. You just won the lottery. Do you first buy a sports car or call a financial advisor?
I buy a Jaguar E-type and just drive around the block.
9. Where would you spend the next 24 hours if you had a teleporter?
As far as I can, to travel back in time as much as possible and try to figure out what the universe is all about.
10. How many times a day do you watch … your watch?
Between 1 and 100 times, depending on my mood.
11. The last watch you bought?
I recently bought a friend’s 1956 Rolex Datejust ref. 6605 with an awesome patina.
12. What’s on your wrist today?
My Speedmaster ref. 105.012-66 delivered to the US Army.