Gaëtan Lana (a.k.a. Pianiste on the main watch forums), 25 years old, started collecting watches when he was 12. He is the creator of a website specialized in rare pocket watches, www.thepocketwatchspecialist.com.
Gaëtan is also a real passionate of vintage OMEGA watches, and especially Speedmasters. He has been collecting them since 2008 and is always looking for nice examples.
1. Do you remember your first watch?
My first watch was a quartz chronograph signed LORUS. It was a gift for my first communion. The dial was black with 3 subdials, which is maybe the reason why I love Speedmasters?
2. The 3 most iconic watch models?
OMEGA Speedmaster, ROLEX Daytona, ROLEX Submariner.
3. A noteworthy anecdote with one of your watches?
Two years ago, I was walking in the center of Venice, and a Speedmaster caught my eyes in a little shop. I could not believe it : a well preserved 1967 Speedy was waiting for me. The tenant was an old watchmaker, his clients were mostly locals. I went to Venice again this summer and absolutely wanted to go back to the shop, but it didn’t exist anymore. The watchmaker had probably retired.
4. Are you more modern or vintage?
Vintage. Modern watches don’t show any patina unfortunately. If you compare vintage watches, you can see they are all unique. They are also a better investment.
5. I love Speedmasters because …
Because the design is just perfect. It’s difficult to explain but when you put a Speedmaster on your wrist, the feeling is magical. So hard to take it off. Of course the space adventure is a plus, but I’m sure I would still love Speedmasters even it they had not been selected by the NASA.
6. Your favorite Speedmaster?
Straight lugged Speedies are amazing. My favourite is the CK 2998 without hesitation. Here is my CK 2998-4, I really like this watch because it has never been restored. Even the 7077 bracelet is original.
7. A single personal item you would take with you for a long stay on the Moon?
A camera. If I stay on the Moon, I would like to take some pictures in order to show them when I’m back on earth.
8. You just won the lottery. Do you first buy a sports car or call a financial advisor?
Well, I buy one or two watches and then I call a financial advisor. I like sports car of course, but it’s not my priority.
9. Where would you spend the next 24 hours if you had a teleporter?
Anywhere under the sun. At least 25°c please.
10. How many times a day do you watch … your watch?
I would say… around 10-15 times. Probably more if I’m wearing a vintage Speedmaster.
11. The last watch you bought?
A CROTON NIVADA GRENCHEN Chronograph, the first version with Venus 210.
12. What’s on your wrist today?
ROLEX daytona 116.520 with black dial. A good watch for everyday use, but I would prefer a 6263!