Class of 1986, Matteo Leoni is an Italian watch collector based in Milan. He became a watch enthusiast when, in 2005, he received his first watch, and that was a Speedmaster. Over the years he has been developping his passion for watches, spending a lot of time on vintage pieces study and research. Today he has an extensive collection of chronographs, with a specific focus on Speedmasters (visit Matteo’s blog here). Some of Matteo’s rarest Speedies are figured in Moonwatch Only – 60 Years of OMEGA Speedmaster and in The Ultimate Speedmaster Exhibition books.
1. Do you remember your first watch?
My father gave me an OMEGA Speedmaster professional 145022-69 for my 18th birthday, unfortunately with the lume washed off, a service bezel and a service bracelet. Details that I didn’t notice at that time.
2. The 3 most iconic watch models?
In my opinion, the most iconic watch models are these 3 Speedmaster references: 145.022-69, 2915-1, and 2998-2.
3. A noteworthy anecdote with one of your watches?
Few years ago, I received an OMEGA Speedmaster 2998 that I bought on eBay. When I opened the package, I noticed immediately that the dial had something different. I started searching for this dial, with Gino Balbi who helped me, and finally we identified different types of blue dials. Mine is the first type shown in the Moonwatch Only book.
4. Are you more modern or vintage?
I am definitely a vintage collector, because vintage watches always have a charming story to tell, and I can feel positive vibes when I wear a vintage piece. And I love spending my time doing research on vintage watches.
5. I love Speedmasters because …
Because of its essential and perfect design, and of course for its history.
6. Your favorite Speedmaster?
My 145022-69 Racing.
7. A single personal item you would take with you for a long stay on the Moon?
8. You just won the lottery. Do you first buy a sports car or call a financial advisor?
A Porsche 911 964 Carrera 4 Cabrio.
9. Where would you spend the next 24 hours if you had a teleporter?
Back in 1957 to buy a certain watch …
10. How many times a day do you watch … your watch?
Too many times.
11. The last watch you bought?
A Speedmaster 105.012-66 HF Meister.
12. What’s on your wrist today?
OMEGA Speedmaster Professional 145.012-67 SP Blue Sunburst Dial.