Bank Employee & Watch Collector
Sergio C., 47 years old, is an Italian bank employee. He is a watch enthusiast and great lover of fine (vintage and modern) watches, with a strong preference for OMEGA in general and Speedmaster in particular, but also for ZENITH. He spends most of his free time in studying watches and also participating in watches-related events. Whenever possible, he loves going to the beautiful region of Endine lake to relax himself. He is really seriously sick of … watches.
1. Do you remember your first watch?
Yes, I remember it very well (but unfortunately I don’t remember the brand). My father gave it to me when I was almost six years old. It was a small economic sub with a mechanical movement, with a light blue bezel. I’m sure that I still have it, but I have not been able to find it at home.
2. The 3 most iconic watch models?
In this period of my life, I love in particular gold watches. My three most iconic watch models are OMEGA Speedmaster, ZENITH Chronomaster El Primero Calendar Moon Phase, and ROLEX Day-date.
3. A noteworthy anecdote with one of your watches?
Not one in particular. But I remember very well the watch my partner gave me when our son was born. It was an OMEGA Dynamic Chrono, my first “important” automatic watch and also my first OMEGA. It was the “beginning of the end” for my savings.
4. Are you more modern or vintage?
I love both modern and vintage watches, although in the last period my attention is more dedicated to vintage ones.
5. I love Speedmasters because …
I love Speedmaster because … Speedmaster is Speedmaster, what else?
6. Your favorite Speedmaster?
My favorite Speedmaster is always the next one I have to buy. The last one I bought (a few weeks ago) is a Speedmaster 60th Anniversary.
7. A single personal item you would take with you for a long stay on the Moon?
Pizza and beer, helping me to relax and observe the landscape in the silence of the Moon.
8. You just won the lottery. Do you first buy a sports car or call a financial advisor?
None of this. I think I will “unplug” for almost a month, then I’ll think how to change (positively) my life.
9. Where would you spend the next 24 hours if you had a teleporter?
I think at the OMEGA Museum, watching, handling and analyzing in detail all the (rare) vintage OMEGA watches.
10. How many times a day do you watch … your watch?
I think dozens of times, but without ever knowing what time it is. I look at the watch, not at the time it marks. For reading time, there are smartphones.
11. The last watch you bought?
A very very very nice ZENITH Cairelli CP2 military watch, assigned to Italian Army.
12. What’s on your wrist today?
A very nice mechanical BULOVA vintage watch (I think from late 60’s) in 14k gold for the US market.